Saturday, August 4, 2007

Revolutinary Days

Revolutionary View Earl Plato\\
Dropped off at my door last Fall was a CD entitled Mohawk Valley Oct. 2006. It was from Eugene Oatley U.E. of Niagara Falls. He had taken a historical trip with other local United Empire Loyalist descendants. It was a nostalgic trip for me to view his excellent photos. Wife, Elaine and I had done the same trip with U.E.’s from across the province about 25 years previously. Colonel B. Briggs U.E., curator of Johnson Hall back then had personally greeted us. Yes, this American, a retired colonel in the U.S. Army, was a member of the Toronto Loyalist Branch. He said that he was proud of his loyalist connections. I had corresponded with him and still have those letters. He encouraged me to research my roots. I did. I encourage you too. It has been a worthwhile venture.
***
Colonel B. Briggs was an anomaly back then. Many Mohawk Valley old timers still held bad and many distorted views of Colonel John Butler’s Rangers and Joseph Brant’s Mohawks. Colonel Briggs had given an inspiring speech where we had gathered in Johnstown, New York in the heart of the Valley. He tried to show a balanced historical view of the American Revolution in the Valley. Next day the local press hardly mentioned his talk. Not his time. Gene Oatley told how well received they were throughout the trip. They were greeted warmly wherever they went. At the site of the Battle of Oriskany I had left there with experiencing a biased American view of that crucial battle where my ancestors had been involved. Times have changed. Gene Oatley felt that the presentation there was fairly portrayed. Good. The truth is the truth. There were atrocities on both sides - not just one side. My Great-great-great-great maternal grandmother, Dorotea (May) Plato, never made it to Fort Niagara on her trip fleeing from the Mohawk Valley in !777. She died along the way. How she died we don’t know. Attack, disease or starvation? The next article is about the Year 1787 at Fort Niagara where there was extreme suffering and starvation among the loyalist refugees. “Too much praise cannot be given to the pioneer mothers of that time.”

No comments: