Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Butler's 3

Butler’s3 Earl Plato
Do you know the Mohawk Valley of New York? It’s where many of our Niagara ancestors who were in Butler’s Rangers came from in the late 1700’s. It’s easily reachable via the New York Thruway in four or five hours. In the summer of 1973 Elaine and I and our young family travelled to Johnson Hall on the Mohawk River. Colonel Charles B. Briggs, retired U.S. army officer, was the curator of the historic hall.
What a greeting when he found both of us were descendants of Butler’s Rangers! He said proudly, “I am a U.E. descendant too. I am a member of the Toronto U.E.L. Association.” We had a grand tour of Sir William Johnson’s home. He told us of the many aberrations written by many American historians about Butler’s Rangers activities during the American Revolution. “Massacres were not always massacres,” he said. I wasn’t sure what he meant at that time. I was excited with his words.
“We are having over 100 loyalist descendants from across Canada coming to Johnstown come this October 6th. It will be the first time that such a group has been here since the Revolution. I personally invite you to be here too.” It was our Canadian Thanksgiving time and Elaine and I accepted the invitation. Colonel Briggs welcomed us and gave a stirring speech about John and his son Walter Butler. Next day in the Johnstown paper no mention was made of his speech but rather it highlighted a Mark Boatner of Arlington Va. author of the Dictionary of the Revolution. Figures, eh? Sad. I heard that many old timers ( Americans) at the banquet did not appreciate Colonel Briggs’s attempt to clarify Mohawk Valley history. After almost 200 years had passed and American ‘spin’ and mindset about Butler’s Rangers hadn’t seemed to change. However, In a letter dated January 1st, 1974 to me from Colonel Briggs U.E. in which he said, “As to the descendants of “The Rangers” meeting here, I must say “EXCELLENT !” He gave me many sources to look up my Plato, Bowen, Jansen (Johnson) and May ranger ancestors. Thank you, sir. We returned home and I pursued my family research. The Ottawa and Toronto Archives provided the data and later that year I received my U.E. designation from the Grand River U.E.L. Association Branch. Today I am a proud member of the Colonel John Butler U.E.L. Branch of Niagara Falls. Next: War is war!

No comments: